What are you looking for?
- 10 Inspirational Modern Splashback Ideas
- 7 Creative Bathroom Tile Design Ideas
- Contemporary Glass Backsplash Designs
- A Guide to Fog Free Waterproof Bathroom TV
- Choosing a Bathroom Mirror TV
- Big Designs for Small Kitchen Sinks
- How to change a bathtub faucet in 8 simple steps.
- 7 Vibrant Red Kitchen Cabinets
- Bamboo Flooring for your Bathroom – The Basics.
- 8 Great Looking Kitchen Islands
- 7 Contemporary Shower Designs
- Kitchen Island Furniture - Suspended Seating
- 6 Space Saving Kitchen Pantries for Small Spaces
- 7 Innovative Shower System Designs
- Bathroom Shower Enclosure Ideas
A display cabinet is a cupboard-like object that allows you to put your kitchen items on display. If you've got beautiful plates and display items that are currently tucked away inside a neglected cupboard, and you need to add a little bit of character to your kitchen, this could be the right choice for you.
Obviously space is a big factor. Display cabinets take up a considerable amount of room and could end up dominating a small kitchen in an imposing way. So take your measurements and consider carefully whether the space you are losing is going to be worthwhile. Try putting a box down of a similar width and depth to the cabinet you're considering - how does it affect the flow of your kitchen area?
If you're already short of storage space, you may be willing to sacrifice a little more of your kitchen area to the display cabinet. Many display cabinets also incorporate non-visible storage that's ideal for storing plates and dishes that aren't special enough to go on display. If you need more storage and you're keen to show off your valuables, a display cabinet could help you kill two birds with one stone.
Make Sure It Fits In
While you may just love that an antique oak cabinet with intricate detailing, it won't look so great in your minimalist kitchen. Think carefully about the style of your kitchen and how your display cabinet would fit in. There is a wide variety of display cabinets out there, so you should be able to find something that suits.
Lighting and Views
Many cabinets feature lighting and mirrors to show your collectibles off to their fullest potential. When selecting your kitchen display cabinet, make sure that it will display your collectible items nicely. Lighting will be particularly important if the cabinet will sit in a part of the room that is now particularly well lit.
Choosing a Cabinet: Tips
- Do you have children? Make sure you buy a cabinet that locks. Otherwise, if curiosity gets the better of the little ones, you could find yourself with a very expensive mess to clean up, or worse, an injured child.
- If you're buying a glass cabinet, it's a good idea to buy tempered glass. It's more durable than regular glass and can withstand a bit of punishment.
- Make sure the shelves are strong enough to bear the weight that you're putting in it.